The Technology Enhanced Learning Accreditation Standards (TELAS) are a set of internationally benchmarked standards designed to assess the quality of online learning, particularly in relation to the tertiary sector. They provide institutions with the means to assess and evaluate the affordances of their online learning environments and thereby guide quality enhancements.
The standards and performance criteria articulated in the TELAS framework have been conceptualised through a rigorous and extensive research and consultation process over a period of several years with the participation of a wide range of key stakeholders and practitioners from the tertiary education sector.
This process has involved tertiary sector and relevant industry leaders, professionals, academics and students from Australia, New Zealand, the UK, US, EU and Singapore. A TELAS Strategic Advisory Group was established to guide and oversee the development and implementation processes.
The TELAS framework, as a resource, aims to:
- Present standards to guide the design of quality online learning environments.
- Provide a tool to assess and assure the quality of online learning environments.
- Provide a measure of performance for assessing online learning environments that can be externally validated, benchmarked and compared broadly across the global tertiary education sector.
Further, the TELAS initiative aims to:
- Raise awareness of exemplary practices in the design of quality online learning environments transpiring across the tertiary sector.
- Encourage and motivate excellence in the design of quality online learning environments and the utilisation of digital technologies in tertiary learning and teaching.
- Promote and recognise exemplary innovation and practice in the design of quality online learning environments and the use of educational technologies to progress pedagogical practice.
As part of the TELAS initiative, institutions may submit online learning packages (e.g. units, courses, micro-credentials, programs) for assessment and accreditation. All courses submitted for formal review are assessed by certified reviewers who have been accredited through an official training process. This training process includes attendance at a Peer Reviewer Workshop and completion of the required tasks for registration as a TELAS Certified Reviewer.
TELAS assessment and accreditation is a fee-for-service program, however, individuals and institutions can informally assess the quality of their online learning environments using the free self-assessment tool available on the TELAS Framework page.
The TELAS initiative has been conceptualised by members of the tertiary education sector. It is made available as a valued service of ASCILITE.